Re: Would an NR be faster than an XPT???

Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in article
<01bd1bb0$1a0d1160$16fc83c0@maurie.commslab.gov.au>...
> >  No.  I chased it the other day, and it lost nearly half an hour
between
> > Penrith and Lithgow.  This was due to the fact that they chose to run a
> > single NR (4,000 HP) on the consist, as opposed to two CLPs (6,000 HP).

> > 16 car Indian Pacific on 1 in 30 would have to be getting close to the
> full
> > goods load of an NR wouldn't it?
> >
> > --
> > David Johnson
>
> Pretty close , about 950 tonnes for an NR on 1:33 would be the limit.
> A 16 car IP would be around the 800 tonne mark .
> I can understand though NRs reluctance to run 2 X NRs on this train
simply
> to get the train from Sydney to Lithgow.

As NR are contracted to run the schedule as set by GSR, shouldn't they have
to provide the necessary HP's to do it? Of course, I'm not a lawyer, but
I'd LOVE to have a look at the contract . . . . .

Why not just contract with FreightCorp to stick an 81 on the front to
Lithgow? That would be a cheap way around the problem of 2 locos from
Sydney to Broken Hill!

--
Regards

David Proctor