Re: Would an NR be faster than an XPT???

>  No.  I chased it the other day, and it lost nearly half an hour between
> Penrith and Lithgow.  This was due to the fact that they chose to run a
> single NR (4,000 HP) on the consist, as opposed to two CLPs (6,000 HP).
> 16 car Indian Pacific on 1 in 30 would have to be getting close to the
full
> goods load of an NR wouldn't it?
>
> --
> David Johnson

Pretty close , about 950 tonnes for an NR on 1:33 would be the limit.
A 16 car IP would be around the 800 tonne mark .
I can understand though NRs reluctance to run 2 X NRs on this train simply
to get the train from Sydney to Lithgow.
As they dont have any crews along the way , realistically the 2nd loco
would have to run to Broken Hill at least.
Then the question is what to do with it .
Id be curious to see whether subsequent IPs have only one loco.
It would make more sense to reschedule the IP to reflect a slower running
time up the hills,and possibly allow for some
slightly faster running in the flat bits, of which there are lots.

cheers
MD