Re: Weekend Timetables on Weekday

billbolton@REMOVE-TO-EMAILacslink.net.au (Bill Bolton) writes:

>In order to maintain a 10 minute service frequency overnight, Cityrail
>crew rosters had to be dramatically altered to provide adequate
>crewing which could not be realistically handled just by overtime.

 Cityrail effectively provided a service peak service levels for an
8-10 hour period of time, covering a period of time when normally public
service doesnt run at all. I really dont know where they managed to get
all the crews from. Running the 31st and the 1st on Weekend timetable
would have helped this, but still to find that many crews at a time when
many would rather party than work, was pretty good going.

 My local station had a A3 poster up clearly showing which days were
'Weekday' and which were 'Weekend' days. I saw these posters at other
stations as well.
 Rockdale station was even announcing this over their PA system when
trains stopped at the station.

 I dont buy newspapers, so I dont know if they took out print media
advertising but the stations I frequent all had posters up about the
changes.

 The main west 'suburban ?' (centre tracks) is also closed between Redfern
and Strathfield for a couple of weeks, meaning special timetables are
in force anyway. On Tuesday heading west at speed on the main, I noticed
the 2 centre track bridge spans of the Lewisham viaduct missing.....

--
Matthew Geier,                 | Australian Public Access Network Association
matthew@sleeper.apana.org.au   | +61 2 9587 9773