Re: TALGO tilt trains

rffergus@socs.uts.edu.au wrote:
> In article <75isi2$5ph$9@news.mel.aone.net.au>,
>   dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
> > thalytgv@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > > 1.How much are Talgo train carriages compare with conventional carriages?
> > > (say N class Intercity carriages)
> >
> > More than building new N cars, but MUCH cheaper than buying DMUs with
> > active tilting. I think AMtrak and the State of Washington paid about
> > US$12 million for three sets.
> >

> Haven't passive tilt mechanisms been the subject of complaints about nausea
> mainly due to their activation/deactivation lag times?

That was a problem with the short lived British APT, or so is popular
belief. The problem was actually that the tilting was so soft that there
was no sensation of the tilt, yet you could see the horizon move. After
the APT project was abandoned, the story about nausea was checked. It
later came out that the only person to complain of nausea was a journalist
who had been drinking heavily the night before.

AFAIK there have been no complaints about the Talgo or Pendolini. The APT
was passive tilting, but wasn't pendular as such.

Cheers
David