Re: QR new tilt train, eat your heart out interstate!

thalytgv@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> On the other hand. Do you think Victoria really needs Tilt trains? Obviously
> interstates lines to Adelaide and Sydney(or even Canberra) could get a bit
> help.

It would be an expensive undertaking to replace the fleet with tilt
trains. The main lines out of Melbourne are highly curved, so some form of
tilting would be of use. The problem is that tilt trains are very
expensive.

Now as Victoria still uses a lot of locomotive hauled trains and has a
relatively new fleet of N class locos to haul them, I would suggest that
the Talgo system might be of some use. Talgo trains are much cheaper than
DMUs with active tilting. You don't get quite as much benefit on curves,
but on a 90km/h curve the difference would be minimal anyway. The other
benefit is that you can use existing locos, power vans and even D vans if
necessary on the same train.

An N hauling a Talgo about the same length and capacity as an FN set ought
to be able to run Melbourne to Bendigo in about the same time as a
Sprinter. A Sprinter would gain on the straights but a Talgo would gain on
the curves.

The only possible problem is platforms. Talgos sit lower, and will tilt
through a curved platform.

Amtrak is going into Talgos in a big way with several more sets on order
for new services from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and Phoenix. The Oregon
Talgo services have been an amazing success with ridership going through
the roof. The best thing was no new locos were required.

Cheers
David