Re: Metcard Private Ticket Inspectors

Bill Bolton wrote in message <367c62eb.3181395@news.bigpond.com>...

>I hardly ever see a Sydney STA bus with a validator that that is
>rejecting valid tickets or isn't working at all.

They keep at few spare validators at strategic locations - depots, Circular
Quay, etc - and if a bus has a faulty validator, it will struggle on with
only the one until it reaches one of these locations, then change it for a
new one.

>On a Sydney STA bus you pass the validators at entry to the vehicle.
>No matter what class of bus, they are always in the same position,
>while in a Melbourne tram its up to you to locate the validator, which
>varies with the class of tram concerned.

There is a little bit of a difference here - although their are only two
classes of buses (I know, lots of different types, but really only two
classes) - single-body and artic. - the entrance is always the same - the
front door.

In Melbourne, they tried that with the trams (remember the Z's with the
conductor seats?) and they were a disaster. At least by allowing people to
board at all doors it speeds up loadings.

David Proctor
daproc.spambait@umpires.com