Re: Tumut Line

In article <367C93B0.DA05B4A3@hermes.net.au> David & Julie Donald <dsjmd@hermes.net.au> writes:
>From: David & Julie Donald <dsjmd@hermes.net.au>
>Subject: Tumut Line
>Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 17:05:36 +1100

>I have heard rumours that a certain private operator (I don't need to name the
>name) is looking at re-opening the Tumut line.  From what I understand, it is
>simply a feasibility study at this time.  Naturally, one of the major hurdles is
>the trestle bridge over the Murrumbidgee River at Gundagai, with the suggestion
>being that this operator is going to build a low level bridge next to the
>existing bridge.

>Anyone with knowledge on this issue ??
>--

>Regards

>David Donald
>Springwood, NSW

>dsjmd@hermes.net.au

This line will cost a fortune to re-open .
A fair amount of the line is simply missing , a large bit being completely
removed to make way for the duplication of the Hume Highway.
There are a large number of timber trestle bridges apart from the Murrumbidgee
River that would have to be replaced.
Its simply not worth it.

MD