Re: Metcard Private Ticket Inspectors

Paul Dwerryhouse wrote in message <75aqmm$t8v$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>...

>>Why is it that Victorians have a problem with validating a ticket on every
>>boarding?
>
>Because it is redundant.

No it is not - we need to change the culture that fare evasion is okay, and
validating tickets is one way to do this.

I remember a few years back that police officers in Adelaide, who were
entitled to free travel, were issued with dummy tickets that were accepted
by the machines on trains and trams. It turns out that a lot of them, when
travelling to and from work in plain clothes, were being abused on the
trains as fare evaders, as they were not validating tickets. This is the
culture we need to get, that fare evasion is wrong.

Also, if it is redundant in Melbourne, why is it not redundant in Sydney,
Brisbane or Adelaide?

I agree that validating an already valid ticket at a non-gated stations is a
bit strange, but trams and buses should be validated on every boarding.

David Proctor
daproc.spambait@umpires.com