Re: Metcard Private Ticket Inspectors

"David Proctor" <daproc.spambait@umpires.com> writes:

> Roderick Smith wrote in message <01be240d$38161a60$0c2e11cb@rodsmith>...
>
> >Once a ticket is valid, it should never need to be 'revalidated'.
>
> Why is it that Victorians have a problem with validating a ticket on every
> boarding? You have to do the same thing in Adelaide, and they are not
> jumping up and down and whiging. You have to do the same thing on Sydney and
> Brisbane buses, and we are not complaining. You have to do the same thing in
> Sydney to get onto the platforms at gated stations in Sydney and we are not
> wetting our pants over it. Why all the fuss?

It is not just the ticketing system per se, it is the combination with
incompetent and/or inept people implementing the system (smartcards
have been coming soon for over a year...) and incompetent and/or inept
management.

Was it really impossible to have validators at train stations that
process the tickets fast enough so that people moving at a brisk
walking pace don't have to slow down (or stop) to validate the ticket?

And why there aren't more gates at city stations (in particular at
Flagstaff) is a mystery. The current number is basically incapable
of handling the peak hour rush - either direction.
Did noone do any counting/queuing analysis BEFORE installing these
barriers? Silly question. Of course not. That would be good
management.

Maybe, just maybe, this will all get better post-privatisation.
But I really doubt it...

--
Clive Newall <crn@itga.com.au> / ITG Australia Ltd, Melbourne Australia
"I think Casper is the ghost of Richie Rich. I wonder how Richie died?"