Re: [Melb] Eastern suburbs bus operation changes

>> And where is all this extra money being channelled?
>>
>> Since my whinging has gone off topic for both these newsgroups, I will
>> desist now.
>
>I was under the impression that the bus companies were private anyway,
>however I may be misinformed. "All the extra money" has gone to several
>things... grand prix, other major events and (you'll love this one)
>paying off state debt! Not very interesting, that last one.
>
>In answer to the second line... I think I'll do the same.

Whilst not wanting to perpetuate a discussion on politics or buses on a rail
newsgroup, I think you will find politicians perks also require diversion of
some taxpayers money. eg silver service dining room, office upgrades, etc. I
agree that state debt needs to be paid off however.

In addition, whilst smart operators realise that frequent services =
proportionally more customers, given the contracts have now changed from
private companies being paid to run buses per kilometre (private operators
do not run commercial services, they are subsidised by the government. As
the government is providing the bickies, they get to say what the routes and
timetables should be, hence the service cutbacks as the government tries to
save money. The Labour government was just as bad with many routes merged
and frequencies cut back, the worst example being the merging of 622 and 625
to 624 bus route with poorer route and less frequent service.) to being paid
per passenger boarding, obviously Invicta are not a smart operator or
Ventura judging by the cries of poorer service.

Not all companies are like this, recently Dysons improved it's frequency and
reintroduced Sunday services.

National Bus are a mixed bag, they rearranged the 615 and 731 to run to
Shoppingtown which is a highly sensible move. They also cut back the peak
hour frequencies so they could use the same number or less buses to run the
extended routes which was a highly silly move. If they had any sense, they
would extend the 731 along the old 608 alignment past Swinburne, this would
attract a lot of extra patronage as it would save Doncaster and Templestowe
residents a lot of time and parking hassles and justify a much better
frequency.