Re: Metcard Private Ticket Inspectors

Gareth Lumsden wrote:

> > Do you mean that, for example, at Ringwood (which is zone 3), the
> TVMs
> > should also sell Zone 1, Zone 2, Zone 1/2, and Rail+2 (which is only
>
> > available for Zone 1) tickets?  I don't think this is such a good
> idea,
> > as from time to time, I have caught customers who try to "cheat" the
>
> > system.  Under the current arrangement, the only way to purchase
> tickets
> > that do not cover the zone you are in, is to purchase from the
> booking
> > office staff.
> >
> > I.C.
>
> I think the machine should sell all types of tickets, but the
> validator
> does not allow validation in the wrong zone.
> There has been several times where I have only had a zone 1+2 ticket,
> but
> wanted to go to zone 3.  There is nothing I can do!! (Especially at an
>
> un-manned station).  I have come very close to getting a fine twice
> now,
> becuase "you should have a ticket" even though I couldn't do
> anything!!

Gareth,

As for the validators, this is already happening - ie. validators would
not valid tickets that do not cover the zone you are in.  However, from
my past experience, most passengers simply ignore the "Wrong Zone"
message and walk through the open barrier (assuming there is no staff
there checking tickets).

As for purchase of an extension ticket on your existing ticket.  Did you
show your valid Zone 1/2 ticket and mention that you cannot purchase a
Zone 3 only ticket from the machine?

I.C.

Iming Chan                                     Station Staff, Ringwood
                                                       Hillside Trains
Email: chani@translib.com.au                      Melbourne, Australia
   ** To reply, please remove 'X' at the end of my email address **