Re: NEWCASTLE ACCIDENT

Ron Bennell wrote:

> In Qld there is no automatic reclosing of traction CBs, and AFAIK no other
> railway in Australia does it either. There is human instigation of a
> reclose.

That may be true with your 25kV equipment, but our 1500VDC equipment does have
auto-reclosing.  When we ran our single deck electrics, it was common for the
driver to pull the power if he stepped up too quickly, or a motor flashed over.

Most main line C/Bs are set at around 6000 Amps.  A coal train could easily be
pulling 4 X 800 Amps = 3200 Amps.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard