Re: NEWCASTLE ACCIDENT

In article <7476og$ia8$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au>,
  matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au (Matthew Geier) wrote:
 the overhead was brought down on the train, and that it took 15
> >>minutes to get the power isolated. That seems an excessive time to have a
> >>"live" metal train! Can anyone confirm this, and explain why it took so
> >>long? I would think the scenario would be:
> >>
> >Are the bodies of the carriages insulated from the track? If not, wouldn't
> >the protection equipment on the DC power supply trip when the overhead (+)
> >touches anything at negative potential, eg train, rails etc.

The circuit breakers in the substation are setup to alow three resets in quick
sucesion, with each reset occuring after apporx 30 seconds after detecting a
fault. If it resets three times, the high speed circuit breaker locks itself
out, requiring manual resetting by a repesentative from elec branch.

I hope this helps

Stuart Ellis