Re: NEWCASTLE ACCIDENT

Ron BEST wrote:

> I heard about the collision this morning (on ABC radio news) between
> (presumably) a DDIU and a car at "Islington" - presumably near Hamilton. The
> report said the overhead was brought down on the train, and that it took 15
> minutes to get the power isolated. That seems an excessive time to have a
> "live" metal train! Can anyone confirm this, and explain why it took so
> long? I would think the scenario would be:
>
> Driver to controller/signaller (via radio): "Turn it off!"
> Controller/signaller to "electrical trouble" or whatever its called these
> days:"Turn it off!"
> Electrical trouble throws switch to (remotely) isolate section.

well, having just seen the news it seems, a car ran off a bridge
bringing down the overhead and an endavour ran into the car (and the
still live overhead) sending the chassis of the train live ect, also
with regard to safety breakers ect judging by the amount of current
required to run a few trains (atleast 2 8 car sets) it would need a very
conductive solid connection from overhead to rail. anyways, the trains
are still out i beleive (atleast the electrics) and there will be a few
shittyrail electricians doing serious overtime...
--
I Michael Van Baast       I