Re: URGENT REPLIES/HELP REQUIRED

Anyhow I handed the assignment in today (4/12/98).

Thanks to everybody whom have given their time to reply (either to the newsgroup
or privately via email). Your help has been of great use.

Cheers

Hubert
4/12/98

Paul Jones wrote in message <366755dd.0@rpi.au>...
Damm i hate that stupid assignment - i've gotta do the same thing!!!

---
Paul Jones

Hubert Lam wrote in message <740fqg$com$1@toto.tig.com.au>...
>For those who have read an earlier posting by me, you will know I have a
HSC
>Computing Studies assignment to complete. The topic is System Development
Cycle
>(for those of you who have done HSC Computing Studies or Preliminary
Business
>Studies).
>
>Below are the requirements for the assignment (I am not asking anyone to do
the
>whole thing for me, though I would appreciate it!
>Also, please ignore the year 12 part. I am in an accelerated Computing
Studies
>class which means I do it 1 year ahead of most others
>:-) )
>
>(please read on, I only typed all this because it's due Tuesday (8/12/98)
and
>even though I've been hanging around aus.rail for quite some time now and
many
>answers have already been answered I still am continuously seeking to
refine the
>'report'. Thanks)
>
>"Year 12 unit 1 Assessment Task"
>
>Produce a comprehensive report on a system (outside of the school) using
>computer-based technology that details:
>
>-- the existing system and how it functions
>-- any problems in the current system (if none, imagine one)
>-- recommendations for how a solution can be implemented
>-- a system design which will solve the original problem
>-- recommendations for HW and SW required to implement the new system
>-- human and social results of the implementation of the new system
>
>Weighting: 10%" (10% of HSC Computing!!!!!!!)
>
>As you would have guessed by now, *my* comprehensive report is on
announcement
>systems currently in use (more specifically, on passenger train services),
and
>the solution obviously would be to 'recommend' that they install DVA (as
used at
>stations) on train services.
>
>Here are basic outline of 'recommendations'
>
>-- DVA PCs on trains (on-board DVA) will have the same configuration as the
>station DVA PCs
>-- on-board DVA PCs will have a 800kbps satellite dish linking it to
>'intermediate transmission stations' (ITS) (railway stations) where the
data
>required can then go through the station DVA PC and if required, access the
DVA
>database (of 30000 wave files!) from there.
>-- on-board DVA PCs will also be running TDS (like a client-server setup,
ie it
>sends its location to the nearest ITS and updates the TDS accordingly.
>-- all electric sets will be installed with DVA PCs, one PC every 4 cars
(one
>every 2 in the case of L sets and the occasional 2 carV set).
>

>The number of questions I have posted is quite large, and I thank those
whom
>have given invaluable replies. If anyone thinks (especially some of you who
go
>into the more technical side of DVA/TDS) that anything in the
recommendations
>needs improving then please tell me (and preferably some suggestion too,
but
>don't worry if you can't think of any).
>
>Though I have posted a message with the subject  "last question" before, I
would
>appreciate if someone could tell me:
>
>1. Some more in-depth detail of the SRA intranet (which TDS in a JVM runs
off)
>and whether DVA runs on its own network or shares bandwidth with the SRA
>intranet.
>
>(JVM=java virtual machine)
>
>2. Whether DVA announcements can actually be 'synchronised' between say, an
>'on-board DVA' and a 'station DVA' (in short, can the DVA 'control'
software
>have such capabilities within current limits of hardware?
>

>Finally, I would like to thank the following people for giving invaluable
>information that has had anything to do with this assignment (in no
specific
>order)
>
>Stuart Ellis (mpp_editor@my-dejanews.com), Paul McCabe
>(boofheadpaul@yahoo.com.au) , David Johnson (trainman@ozemail.com.au),