Re: NEWCASTLE ACCIDENT

>dave pierson wrote:

>>  ALSO, in many cases, the substation
>>         breaker is preprogrammed to reclose (usally three times) to try to
>>         restore service.

>We use auto-reclosing on our substations.  After the third re-try, the
>breaker will stay off and an alarm goes off in EOC.

	That's fairly standard, here, on all (not just RR) breakers.

	The relation to the incident is that untill the on site personnel KNOW
	that the breaker is locked out (or the line properly grounded) they
	are at risk if they contact derailed equipment.

>I would be interested to find out the facts on this story, rather than the news
>story, which has a 99% chance of being wrong anyway.

	That, too is fairly standard here, also...

thanks
dave pierson                        |the facts, as accurately as i can manage,
Compaq Computer Corporation         |the opinions, my own.
334 South St                        |
Shrewsbury, Mass USA                 pierson@gone.enet.dec.com
"He has read everything, and, to his credit, written nothing."  A J Raffles
"....the net of a million lies...."	Vernor Vinge