Re: Station announcements, Sydney

boofheadpaul@yahoo.com.au wrote:

> In article <74f2o3$jco$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au>,
>   matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au (Matthew Geier) wrote:
>
> >  What they should do is hook the DVA up to the same system as the indicators,
> > which in the city stations would mean almost totaly automatic control.
>
> This has gotta be a union thing though, correct?  Otherwise I reckon CityRail
> would have gone with an auto system.
>
> --
> Paul McCabe

I don't know Cityrail has a habit of going to lots of expense to find the best and
then pick the worst. Things that come to mind are the TMS on Tangaras, Destination
boards on trains and our wonderful ticket machines.

As far as I am aware the only indicators that are controled by Sydney box are on
the Bondi Jtn line, and if their record is anything to go by, it will be a right
royal stuff up.
They can't even get messages to station staff about out of order working, we tell
them as we pull in, they change the indicator and winge to us that they didn't get
notified.
If control of the indicators and anouncements get taken out of the station it we
won't be able to change incorrect destinations, the box doesn't answer the phones
or radios now, so why would they change?

rgds