Re: Steepest train/tram line

Krel wrote:

<<<<<I will NEVER understand why Victorian enginmen make such a big deal
about a 1 in 48 grade. (Yes I have driven train up and down it).Many
railways have longer steeper hills. Try the Blue Mountains or the
Illawarra escarpment, both long 1 in 30s.  the VR preoccupation with
Ingliston Bank seems to be a reflection on vehicle maintainence
standards rather than just steepness. Why did 26L equipment in Vic
have maintaining feature cut out cocks?? So that they had at least a
little chance of controlling a train of GYs.>>>>>>>

Krel, I was just having a bit of fun, actually I agree with you entirely. I'm
reminded of Jim Selleto's famous reply during an investigation into why he
burnt the blocks down to the shoes on a C class. Jim came down without using
the dynamic, at the investigation he was asked why he didn't use the dynamic to
which he replied "A2's didn't have dynamics"

What did make Ingliston a little different to the much steeper grades in NSW
was the crazy speed limits allowed down the hill.

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/