Re: Steepest train/tram line

On 5 Dec 1998 09:27:10 GMT, markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote:

>Steep grades, you wanna know about steep grades? We had one in Victoria, it was
>so steep we used to poop in our pants as we went through Ballan on any up
>train! :-)

I will NEVER understand why Victorian enginmen make such a big deal
about a 1 in 48 grade. (Yes I have driven train up and down it).Many
railways have longer steeper hills. Try the Blue Mountains or the
Illawarra escarpment, both long 1 in 30s.  the VR preoccupation with
Ingliston Bank seems to be a reflection on vehicle maintainence
standards rather than just steepness. Why did 26L equipment in Vic
have maintaining feature cut out cocks?? So that they had at least a
little chance of controlling a train of GYs.

cheers

Krel

>Mark.
>

>Visit my train pic website at: