Re: Steepest train/tram line

On Sat, 05 Dec 1998 08:01:38 GMT, jmullier@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>In article <3667e077.0@news.camtech.net.au>,
>  "David Martin" <d_martin@mountains.net.au> wrote:
>> What is the steepest gradient used on a train or tram line? I refer to
>> conventional adhesion, NOT cog or cable.

In France the Chamonix line is adhesion worked at 1 in 11.

Steepest in Victoria would be (I think) around Koetong 1 in 30 and on
the narrow gauge lines.

>The direct passenger line between Richmond Main & Pelaw Main Collieries on the
>Richmond Vale Railway is 1 in 22 at Richmond Main & 1 in 19 at Pelaw Main.

Preston Colliery at Curlewis (Werris Creek-Narrabri) steepens to 1 in
18!!!! Not sure if it is still open but it was in the early 1980's. If
a train was too long for the loop at Curlewis you backed up the
branch. It used to give the old 48ers a workout!!

Anyone know the grade up to Boshops? I seem to recall that it is quite
steep.

Cheers

Krel

Cheers