Re: Level crossing collisions

<<<<<<< I have seen the
difference that whistles and headlights make, and it saves lives and
engineer's (train driver's) blood pressure every time some jerk thinks
twice about trying to beat the train because he saw that big headlight
and heard that whistle screaming at him as the train approached the
crossing.>>>>>>>

Well if US hornblowing makes such a difference how come US train/vehicle
collision rates are roughly double the rate in Australia? I don't have the
figures in front of me now but this was the case for the year 1996 when I
compared the rates per 100,000 people. Fact is that most US RR's use cheap
level crossing circuitry which means booms/gates/flashing lights operate when
there is no train approaching the crossing (for example, when switching close
to the crossing) This is like the boy who cried wolf, after a while people see
crossing protection devices as unreliable and treat them accordingly.

In Australia, crossing circuitry is much more sophisticated, when the device
operates it normally means there IS a train about.

I admit that sparks in Melbourne and Sydney could do better but the vast
majority of crossings have boom gates where these trains run and if it was up
to me I would not require any additional warning at these crossings. If some
idiot wants to drive around a lowered gate thats their problem.

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/