Re: Maps

David_Arblaster@nospam.dse.vic.gov.au (David A.) wrote:
>The Vicroads offices in Kew are actually built on the site of Kew
>station, btw - the approach to the offices actually traces the
>formation as can be seen in the melways, along with Hilda Cres. and a
>native plant reserve (with bike track).  Symbolic of the victory of
>road over rail ?  Well, it was flat anyway.  This is why there are
>tennis courts on the site of Noojee station ;)

Noojee?!? Do you mean the tennis courts in Grace Park? I don't
think there was ever any station there. Or do you mean Barker?

You can still see a few remains of the Windsor to St Kilda line...
in fact according to the Melways the map next to Windsor station
is still called the Windsor Siding Reserve or something - for
a long time it was still a siding.

Much of the Rosstown railway (Elsternwick to Oakleigh) is still
visible in parks and weirdly shaped streets along the way.

And of course there's other remnants around... Tram Rd in Box Hill
North, and there's a bunch of stuff around Warburton (anybody know
when that closed??)

I have a promotional map of Melbourne done by a (since vanished)
shop called "Going Going Gone" in Richmond... the map (apart from
the arrow pointing out the position of the shop) is from the 50s
sometime, I think. The Hawthorn to Kew line and the Inner Circle
(inc Fitzroy Station) are both marked.

It also shows tram route 12 not going all the way down
Park Street, but joining Fitzroy Street from Beaconsfield
Pde, and it shows some of the St Kilda to Black Rock tram
line, down the current route of bus 600. It also shows a tram
line down Brunswick Street East/Holden Street, between Lygon
Street and St Georges Road. And it looks like route 86 along
Gertrude Street didn't always go as far as Nicholson Street,
but used to turn to the city at Brunswick Street. And Gardiner's
Creek looks a bit nicer, without the South Eastern freeway on top
of it!

>It's an interesting thread anyway !

Yeah, I love all that historic Melbourne stuff. I'll be able to
tell my kids about riding home on the St Kilda train!

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne Australia.
Replies to this mail, including spams of course, go to the