Re: Glenhuntly Signals

> So perhaps the crossing needs a little tweaking.

Perhaps the crossing needs a little removing. After all it was done at
Elsternwick all those years ago (which had the same layout, and is a few km
down the road). The station is now down a cutting, with no level crossing.
Although, at least there they had a goods yard to give them a bit of extra
room while rebuilding. Glenhuntly would be a tight site to lower.

In my opinion, there are *WAY* too many level crossings in Melbourne.
Compared with Sydney where there are about 13 in the Metro area, there are
a whopping 181 in the Melbourne metro area. Some of them are just crying to
be removed, and I believe Glenhuntly is one of them. (Also the other
tram/train ones). I think that it is scandalous that they didn't remove the
crossing at Gardiner when they build the new bridge over the Freeway. The
road now dips down off the bridge to cross the railway on the level, and
then rises back to the same height as the top of the bridge due to the lie
of the land.

Boronia crossing is now being removed, which is finally some good news. The
last major work done to remove a crossing was at Box Hill in the '80s. Some
crossings on the Upfield line will also be removed soon, simply by closing
the road.

Regards,

Mike Alexander
(malex@bigfoot.com)