Re: Glenhuntly Signals

David Lindstrom <D_Lindstrom@onaustralia.com.au> wrote:
>Has anyone noticed where the downline signals are located for trains
>using the middle track (platform 2) at Glenhuntly in Melbourne?

Checked the positioning of signals at Glenhuntly today...

Glenhuntly Station
------------------
u=up signal                       || Tram lines
d=down signal                     || (Glen Huntly Rd)
--------u----------------------u--++------- Up only line
          #####Platform 1#####    ||
          #####Platform 2#####    ||
-----ud------------------------u--++----d-- Up/down line
------d---------------------------++----d-- Down only line
          #####Platform 3#####    ||
<--Down (Frankston)                     Up (Melbourne)-->

It's probably worth mentioning that I think the boom gates
(street and pedestrian) are wired to go off a little too early
for trains approaching platform 1. Presumably it's intended to
allow expresses through, but even these run at low speed
because of the tram tracks. This morning the 8:18 and the
8:23 were within a couple of minutes of each other leaving
Glenhuntly platform 1, because the 8:18 was late and then
further delayed at Glenhuntly.

So the gates across the platform 1 track never opened after
the 8:18 because the 8:23 was just behind it - even though
the it had stopped at signal *before* the platform.

A large number of people waiting to cross the tracks
to get to the platform waited for the 8:18 to pass,
but when they saw the gates wouldn't re-open for the
8:23 (which was still creeping up to the platform),
crossed the tracks anyway to avoid missing it (the
train after is scheduled for 8:37).

When the crossing is manually operated, the operator is
usually a bit more sensible about opening the pedestrian
gates when it's safe to do so and there are people waiting
to cross. So perhaps the crossing needs a little tweaking.

Daniel

--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne Australia.
Replies to this mail, including spams of course, go to the