Secs What are they ?

A coroners report on the death of a lengthsman in 1891, uses the
word   "secs" . I would have thought it meant sections, exception
the word section is spelt out a number of times in the report.

Gangers evidence......

 I said good night and left him there - he was then standing on
the secs on the northern side. Another Lengthsman named Harry
Bosling was present. ...........

Hendrick Bosling being duly sworn says I am a lengthsman of No. 3
length on the Central Railway, ............
 About 4am I was on my way to the camp when I saw deceased lying
on the Secs on the Northern side of the line,

End quotes

So, what are secs ?

TIA

Owen