Re: Excess NR Locos for Sale

<All previous comments snipped>

I think the problem is gentlemen, that Management & Union at all of our
respective employers have created an "US & THEM" mentality.

We are all train drivers, all trying to make a living, and all trying to come
home to our families safe at the end of our shift.

The RTBU should have not allowed the disparity between our wages and
conditions, but had a National Standard for wages and conditions - possibly
based on National Rails original Greenfields Agreement, but the various states
did their own thing.

As far as NR selling off or leasing surplus rolling stock or locomotives, if it
generates extra revenue - assisting with the bottom line , I believe this can
be a good thing, provided that in the case of locos whoever leases them looks
after them(in case we want them back) and don't go out and use those locos to
tender for work National rail is currently doing.

Australian rail should actually band together to compete with the road
industry, who believe it or not are the pioneers of anihilating wages and
conditions.

I believe there should be a National Rail carrier(and I mean National) but
state and privately run railways also have a purpose to serve - they could
convey wagons on branch lines etc that National Rail can't access due to
restrictions on locos, thus giving rail the opportunity to provide a complete
door to door service, like used to be supplied by State Rails Trackfast.

The other thing that is required is a National track access body to provide
fair and equitable timetabling and pathing on the various mainlines.  The
federal government also needs to get fair dinkum about rail in this country and
provide serious funding to upgrade all mainlines, in the interest of safety,
train running and providing a serious rail service.

Now for those who are interested , I am a driver with NR in Sydney, I
originally came from State rail(because I believed their Management and Work
practices incompetent + a 20K a year payrise helped). I have around 16 years
experience and have no axe to grind with any other operator provided that they
don't do anything to endanger me or my workmates livelihood or health.

Thats just my 2 bobs worth

No doubt there will be plenty who disagree.

Regards Mark