Re: [NSW] Alternatives to Bondi Beach line? (was: [NSW] Bondi Beach Line Scrapped)

Hubert Lam wrote:

> "Ted Gay" <tedgay@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> ilLO6.11317$hV3.10945@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:ilLO6.11317$hV3.10945@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
>
> > And when Metro Light Rail proposed a line to Kingsford the State govt said
> > no body would use it!!!
> >
> > Ted
>
> I totally agree that the original Eastern Suburbs line by Dr Bradfield
> should be completed rather than have a light rail line go in to Kingsford.
> Fair enough, light rail will beat (single deck!) buses, but the whole idea
> is that it will never be able to reach the efficiency of heavy-rail. With
> all this money--scrapped Parra-Epping part of the Parra-Chatswood line,
> scrapped Bondi Jn-Beach line, I really hope that some sort of improvement
> can be made to the Eastern Suburbs (although most of the people there drive
> Mercedes Benz's and BMWs anyway!!!).
>
> What they could do is extend the line from Bondi Junction to Rockdale, with
> the following stations:
>
> Randwick (underground, cuts diagonally across High Street so to give access
> to both UNSW, Randwick Junction and Prince of Wales Hospital), Kingsford
> (again, underground, along Anzac Parade), Maroubra (cuts across Maroubra
> Road and Anzac Parade), Pagewood, Domestic (2 additional platforms below
> East Hills line...generate a bit more patronage for the Airport),
> International (2 additional platforms below East Hills line), Rockdale
>
> (if this happens, then they could probably scrap every second bus route that
> runs from Circular Quay into the Eastern Suburbs!!!
> 372 could go (or be shortened between Randwick/Coogee)
> 373 could go for sure
> 393 could go (or be shortened between Kensington/La Perouse)
> ...and almost every second Circular Quay bus could disappear into a local
> route between places like RPH/Kingsford, La Perouse/Kingsford,
> 400 could be shortened to Pagewood-Burwood

The idea is a good one...a very good idea...and each time I try to write some
kind of criticism of the idea, I solve the problem just as easily.

While I do not know what the patronage to the beach would be like...would it end
up bringing in more patronage than the above idea? And I suppose, they could do
the construction so that in the future, they could still construct the line to
the beach...and provide a connection to the above idea line.