Re: [NSW] Alternatives to Bondi Beach line? (was: [NSW] Bondi Beach Line Scrapped)

Hubert Lam wrote:

> "Ted Gay" <tedgay@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> ilLO6.11317$hV3.10945@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:ilLO6.11317$hV3.10945@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
>
> > And when Metro Light Rail proposed a line to Kingsford the State govt said
> > no body would use it!!!
> >
> > Ted
>
> I totally agree that the original Eastern Suburbs line by Dr Bradfield
> should be completed rather than have a light rail line go in to Kingsford.

Needs to be looked at on a cost/benefit basis.  It certainly needs rail,
but what type is not clear cut.

> Fair enough, light rail will beat (single deck!) buses, but the whole idea
> is that it will never be able to reach the efficiency of heavy-rail.

Light rail will beat bus, full stop.  Given that one coupled set of
light rail vehicles can easily shift 400 passengers in peak hour with
one driver and they can operate easily with 3 minute headways.  That is
an awful lot of buses of any type and drivers to match that capacity.

Depending on the capacity required to be met by the rail system there
are medium range capacity levels where the efficiency of light rail
exceeds heavy rail and at a significantly lower cost.

 With
> all this money--scrapped Parra-Epping part of the Parra-Chatswood line,
> scrapped Bondi Jn-Beach line, I really hope that some sort of improvement
> can be made to the Eastern Suburbs (although most of the people there drive
> Mercedes Benz's and BMWs anyway!!!).

Eastern Suburbs residents are the highest users of public transport in
Australia and the proportion of car owners is lower than the
metropolitan average.  People who are standing on the 380 after 9pm
because there are insufficient seats are not driving Mercedes Benz's and
BMWs.  Check the demographics, not every one lives on Campbell Parade
and the majority vote Labor.

Chris