Re: Re: [NSW] fatality at Kingswood

On Sun, 20 May 2001 13:05:52 GMT, Bill Bolton
<billbolton@computer.org> wrote:

>David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Recently, during a major power failure in the city, the entire CBD
>> was blacked out
>
>It wasn't.

How much was blacked out then?  Every shop in George Street around
Town Hall was blacked out.  The QVB was running on emergency lights,
and people were trapped in lifts around the city for up to 2 hours.

>> but the underground stations were fully lit, and trains were running
>> because the routed power from Lithgow, Newcastle and Wollongong.
>
>Since the railways do not have their own AC High Voltage transmission
>lines, it not possible to "route power" over those sorts of distances
>in the way you are describing above.  I think you are misunderstanding
>the manner in which the rail system interacts with the commercial
>power grid from which it draws power.

Is that a fact?   Perhaps I have misunderstood, but I was under the
impression that, in the Illawarra area, State Rail has supplies from
Heathcote and Taren Point substations.  Heathcote gets a 132kVAC
supply, which is reduced to 33kVAC and feeds to Loftus SS, Sutherland
SS, Como SS, Mortdale SS then Hurstville SS.  Taren Point IIRC gets a
33kVAC supply which feeds Caringbah SS, then goes via 710 feeder (I
think) across Tom Ugly's bridge to Hurstville SS via King Georges
Road, and another feeder goes along the Cronulla Line to Sutherland
SS.  Heathcote SS also has feeders heading South, and Hurstville SS
has feeders heading North.   I can't remember if Hurstville also has a
feeder direct to Kingsgrove SS.

David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/