Re: Re: Re: [NSW] fatality at Kingswood

"David Johnson" <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:g6vdgt0rq722brbvid9nks8221sluuan2u@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 19 May 2001 19:20:56 +1000, "Al" <alpout@optusnet.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> >Had a guy from EnergyAustralia at the course today explaining what they can
do
> >to cut off power to the tracks if need be.  Still not going onto train
lines
> >without a damn good reason and security.  Hmm.. a thought.. EnergyAustralia
> >crews are supposed to remain on the scene of access at all times while
we're
> >around, have power off etc.  Wonder if the RIC should do the same?
>
> Interesting, as Energy Australia has no way of cutting power to the
> tracks.   RIC Electricians can, but no-one can get into the 1500V
> substations.

He did point out that the train network was the only one in the state not
controlled by the relevant electrical distributor.  From my gist of it, they
can still remotely cut off power, since they still provide power upstream of
the substations.  He mentioned a trick called a double section, where power
can be cut on all tracks for 5km both sides of an incident, which (as an
example) has been used 3 times in the last 12 months at Gosford (cutting power
between Woy Woy and Wyong).

Al