Re: Rail gauge standardisation in Victoria at last?

Mercia Chapman wrote in part:

> Conceded I missed the all or nothing bit but not sure how *all* of Victoria
> can be done one way or the other...suburbans, preserved railways, sidings
> that are being used by do not warrant the cost of changing etc
>
> I still find Serviceton laughable - I know there are wheat silos but why the
> silos on one side of an arbitrary line called the state border - the wheat
> doesn't care nor do the buyers.
>
> The point that is being missed is not that they are "our railways" "their
> railways" or "whoever's railways" but that their competition is road with no
> break of gauge. Definitely consider the point on a flow by flow basis - but
> don't think of flows as being just Victorian or for Victoria's benefit. We
> will never know some of the potential flows that might come into being with
> limited standardisation if these are currently going by road.

Road may not have that break of gauge problems, but have you considered how much
money and works go into building these roads fit to run these trucks? When they
want a new route, they too have to upgrade the road. Ask the residents on roads
that get  a increase in trucks - how nice their road was before !

My point being it is not just the railroads with upgrade costs.

Regards,
David Head