Re: [NSW] fatality at Kingswood

"Paul Jones" <dj_wiseguy2_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:9dvlpp$9u9i$1@ID-65853.news.dfncis.de...
> "Al" <alpout@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> 3b03579e$0$25473$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3b03579e$0$25473$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> > "Marvin The Martian" <choochoo@spin.net.au> wrote in message
> > > In Thurs. Telecrap there was a little piece about it. Some moron took a
> > > shortcut after getting off a train, he crossed the tracks behind the
> train
> > and
> > > didn.t see the XPT. It also says they haven't been able to identify the
> body
> > > which wouldn't be a shock after being hit by an XPT I assume doing
> around
> > > 100km/h.
> >
> > For those with a weak stomach, please leave now.
> >

> > OK, I warned you.
> >
> > Would there be enough bits and pieces left to do DNA testing?
> >
> > I'll bet the local dogs were howling that night.
>
> It was all cleaned up by 10:30 when I was there. Still lots of water around,
> and a blood stain on the ballast. Someone was telling me that where were men
> everywhere picking up bits and putting them into little plastic bags... and
> you don't want to know the rest.

I've seen that sort of thing first hand, usually between 0230 and 0630, thus
my sick sense of humour about it.  I'll bet there were some firefighters
blasting whatever they could through the ballast (hence the water).

Closest I've been to that was cleaning a cow off the F3 last August after a
semi ran over it.  It put me off steak for a month.  Damn glad it wasn't a
person (they're never pretty in death).

I wonder how far from the point of impact to where the <ahem> body was??

> But I feel sorry for the driver and the person's family if it was relay an
> accident.

Damn right.

>Even if the person involved is an impatient moron who failed at
> track safety awareness.

Damn right.

[OT]  I've got a fire brigade course this weekend covering "Village" fires,
including transport such as trains, planes and automobiles (just had to put
that in).  There's a phrase in the book - "Prior to entering track areas you
need to inform the SRA, even if it was the SRA who called you to the
incident".  Also, Section 27 of the Rural Fires Act states "The functions
conferred by this Division may not be exercised in relation to land or
property vested in, or under the control of, the State Rail Authority or Rail
Access Corporation [old book and law] without the permission of the Authority
or Corporation or of a person authorised by the Authority or Corporation to
give the permission".

So hell, I'm not going near the bloody things until I'm told it's safe, and
even then I'm going to keep an eye out.  And that's in a BRT with lights
flashing.  No way I'd walk on a track as a civilian.

Al

Al