Re: An idea of mine - express trams

"Wolfgang Auer" <Wolfgang_Auer_9912@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:q6k0ftgjb31arb93c60u46044n25vnugrc@4ax.com...
> Would not Melbourne's #86 route be a perfect candidate for this?
> Between Gertrude&Brunswick Streets and Bundoora RMIT, e. g., every
> second run could omit most stops. Regular services need 58 minutes
> for this stretch; express services would maybe need 18 minutes less,
> so with the current 6 minute headways in the afternoon peak, just
> one overtaking facility would be necessary (with two trams arriving
> at the terminus simultaneously).

Unfortunately the traffic along the streets this route travels down would be
far too heavy during peak hours; and I can't see the current government (or
any other in living memory) taking steps to give the trams their own lane.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au