Re: Platform intercom systems (VIC)

"John Elliott" <jae3806@bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:%T1I6.16656$482.85056@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Was at Malvern station yesterday (three platforms and NO train arrival
> indicator boards).

Malvern has three platforms.

> As we didnt know which platforms the next train to Melbourne would be on
we
> thought to use the Platform intercom (green button). There was speed
dialing
> and continually engaged tone. In desperation we used the RED button
> (emergency), still no contact with the outside world.
>
> Question: Where do these calls go to ?. some central location ?. or do
they
> go NOWHERE and its a trick to make use feel secure in the thought that  we
> can  contact somebody in the outside world while  at lonely,
> unmanned/unwomaned  stations.

I think Malvern would go to Caulfield, or possibly South Yarra.

Last time I pressed the red button at Ormond to report a faulty green
button, I got a very quick response. Likewise an old woman I saw who pressed
it at Glenhuntly got a quick response.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia