Re: An idea of mine - express trams

Sydnay had a fairly long three-track section which lasted until the very end
of tram operations. It was in Anzac Parade at Kensington and was used for -
yes - express trams. However, it was not for peak hour operations. The
expresses were from Randwick Racecourse and bound for Cleveland Street and
thence Central station. The third track meant they they did not interfer
with regular stopping services (or vice versa) from Maroubra and La Perouse.

Another point about this third track is that it was not bidirectional. It
was northbound only and, curiously on first glance but logically in
operational terms, it was on the kerb side. Passengers for stopping trams
had to cross the express track. North of Dacey Avenue, it became the
northbound track of the FOUR TRACK section (a pair in reserved track on each
side of the road) from there to Cleveland Street.

Ah, Sydney trams!!! You just have to weep for their loss.

<3aed634e$0$25522$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...