Re: [NSW] A few more questions...

South Coast services

Loco-hauled - South Coast Daylight express began as steam-hauled CUB set,
then loco-hauled air-conditioned cars, before the railcars. Stopping trains
were mostly 32 class with end platform cars or lightweight compartment cars
in the steam era, then 48 class in the diesel era.

A bit of  family loco hauled history - My grandfather used to drive the
South Coast back in the steam days, and he used to tell the story of a bloke
who caught the train from Austinmer to Syndey every day in the late 40's
early 50's. This bloke lived across the road from the station and used to
wait until the last minute mainly running up the ramp and causing the train
to wait and thus lose time. Came the day my granddad got tired of the game,
the guard blew his whistle, the 32 class was given its head, and our friend
was left standing at the bottom of the station ramp. Called before the Chief
Mechanical Engineer later that day to explain following a complaint, my
Granddad gave him the full details, and was told he'd done the right thing.

The advantage for him driving the South Coast was that he could whislte his
special signal on passing through Tempe and my grandmother knew when to
expect him home for tea!.

Railcars - Don't forget the CPH rail motors, which sometimes used to operate
the Wollongong-Kiama services.

Graham Smith
"James C." <james_ccj@optusnetdotcomdotau> wrote in message
3af40c11$0$25478$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3af40c11$0$25478$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> > * What loco-hauled passenger trains run or used to run on the South
Coast,