Re: Overland to continue 4 another 2 years

Good to see that we can find some common ground here Maurie.

Interestingly I don't think the issue of a VFT or at least faster travelling
times between Melbourne and Sydney is entirely dead and buried. Firstly
there has been recent lobbying for faster services to Albury by Mitchell
Shire Council. It is hard to see how the Victorian Government can overlook a
high speed Albury service when it will be facilitating higher speed services
to Ballarat, Bendigo, Traralgon and Geelong. Secondly the ATEC railway will
see a high speed rail link to Wagga commencing construction this year.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/2001/04/30/FFXU93PO3MC.html

If you think about it Melbourne to Wagga constitutes about a third of a
medium speed rail link from Melbourne to Sydney. The XPTs should be able to
reduce current Melbourne to Sydney times by following the new high speed
route. I think there is potential for the NSW Govt to gain leverage off this
development by making upgrades to the Sydney to Wagga rail line.

Currently the XPT does Sydney to Wagga in about 6 hours. Time Sydney to
Melbourne is 4.15 mins so total journey time is currently about 10 hours 15
minutes. Note that there are 15 or so stops along the way.

At 200kmh+ a tilt train should be able to do Wagga to Melbourne in about 2
hours 15 minutes. Adding that to the 6 hour Sydney to Wagga leg gives a
total of 8 hours 15 minutes. Eliminating 10 or so stops on the trip could
cut another half hour off the trip so an express trip of Melbourne to Wagga
to Sydney should be possible in 7 hours 45 minutes.

I do not know how fast a tilt train could travel on existing NSW track -
perhaps those familiar with the tests done by Countrylink could comment on
how long a tilt train could do Sydney to Wagga on existing track.

At the end of the day I can see several hours being shaved off the Melbourne
to Sydney route. With a bit of expenditure by the NSW Govt we may well see a
sub- 6hr express trip in the not too distant future.

cheers Peter

3b231ac7.23910680@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3b231ac7.23910680@can-news.tpg.com.au...