Re: [VIC] Revenue protection [WAS [Melbourne] W-class trams]

"Daniel Bowen" <dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au> wrote in message
wPis6.3772$992.22024@news-server.bigpond.net.au">news:wPis6.3772$992.22024@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> I think you have a valid point, though I don't think the "bad" conductors
> were in the majority. Maybe some of them did just sit on their bums in
their
> Z class seats, but I think their very presence deterred the kind of fare
> evasion levels and anti-social behaviour that we're seeing now.

> The behaviour thing is particularly a problem after dark, mostly from
> teenagers - I recently encountered one group on the 67 all shouting about
> how they were going to "f*** the Met". But even during daytime, I've seen
> twice recently people smoking in the back of the tram (though holding
their
> cigarettes out of the window - how considerate). Actually it may have been
> the same person twice.

That seems common with just about all public transport nowadays. Take taxis,
for example. Passengers are required - by law - to wear seatbelts, yet on
average 75 per cent of people who catch a taxi will "forget" to wear their
belt and half of the ones who are asked to put their seatbelt on will
complain and whinge with obscene language.

The same applies to the instructions which tell passengers not to smoke, eat
or drink. The polite ones think that reads, "No Smoking, Eating or Drinking
unless you ask the driver."

And how many of you think that if you catch a taxi, you then have the right
to reach across the dashboard and either turn the radio on or change it over
to the station of your choice? And how many of you will complain loud and
long when the driver asks you to leave the radio alone?

This behaviour is common everywhere. Buses, Trains, Trams and Taxis. And in
shops and restaurants. :(