Re: Derivation of Gunzel

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:14:04 +1100, "Ted Gay" <tedgay@bigpond.com>
wrote:

>No no no,  the term originated at the Sydney Tramway Museum,  in reference
>to Victorian fans.  The pommie term is an 'Anorak'.  On account of the
>weather, when 'gunzeling' you need to be wearing an anorak!  :-)

The term "anorak" was first applied to the pirate radio enthusiasts
who used to visit the pirate radio ships (eg. Mi Amigo - Radio
Caroline) on the North Sea (and others). It was a scornful, derogatory
term used by the DJs on the ships, on account of the anoraks worn by
the enthusiasts in inclement North Sea weather.

Only years later was it applied to railway enthusiasts (in a similarly
negative manner), some of whom resembled more than superficially the
radio anoraks.

Other pommie terms include Gricer, Grinder (London Underground fan),
Chuffernut and Gangy (acronym - Green Anorak No Girlfriend Yet).
They're also called spotters.

I mentioned the fact that Aussies use the word Gunzel to some of my
colleagues the other day, and they thought it an apt description of
some fans. Incidentally, that word is not unlike Gonzo. Every pirate
radio station used to have its Gonzo - an idiot hanger-on who fancied
himself as a DJ, but would never make it as long as he had a hole in
his arse.

Cheers,

Tom C
W Sussex, UK