Re: Derivation of Gunzel

Bill, & Group,

Even though the term "Gunzel" may have been originally used to describe a
somewhat fanatical railway enthusiast(being polite),I think now you will find it
is a generic term that has been applied to all rail enthusiasts(whether they are
a dickhead or not).

I am not 100% sure but did hear in the past that the term originated in the UK,
sorry to disappoint the guys from Vic. who might like to claim ownership.

It is unfortunate that there are a few over enthusiastic GUNZELS who stuff it for
the rest by letting common sense go out the window, just to get that "one great
shot".

Yes you do strike idiots, but in most cases the ones I have struck are courteous
and genuinely interested in the day to day running of trains.  I actually had a
near miss(with a tractor, lineside at Cootamundra) a few years ago and the
GUNZELS in the toyota 4wd who had chased us from Goulburn(nearly 200kms)taking
photos, actually pulled up to render assistance and check if everyone was
OK(train crew included- and not a camera in sight). So there is an example where
those blokes let commonsense prevail.

So as with everywhere(employment included) you will strike dickheads everywhere
that ruin it for the majority.

Regards BEE EFF