Countrylink bookings at Connex Premium stations

Today I booked a ticket for a Countrylink journey (within New South Wales!)
next week and was told I could pick it up at my local "premium" station
(Mitcham).
Got to Mitcham station at 1740 today and found it open, but de-staffed.
A hand written note in the booking office window saying that the computer
was "down" and that "V/Line" bookings could be made at either Blackburn or
Ringwood.
There was another notice saying staff do not make change for the Metcard
ticket machines.
What are the tasks of "on duty" staff at premium stations? Mitcham down
platform is rarely, if ever, staffed.
There are notices saying the booking office area is video monitored but
there appears to be no way of communicating with any staff that might be on
duty.
My understanding of premium stations in Melbourne was that they were
supposed to be "staffed" from first train to last seven days a week.
Paul in Melbourne.