Re: Countrylink bookings at Connex Premium stations

Paul Nicholson <pn1@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
QrNk6.258$v5.1148@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:QrNk6.258$v5.1148@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Today I booked a ticket for a Countrylink journey (within New South
Wales!)
> next week and was told I could pick it up at my local "premium" station
> (Mitcham).
> Got to Mitcham station at 1740 today and found it open, but de-staffed.
> A hand written note in the booking office window saying that the computer
> was "down" and that "V/Line" bookings could be made at either Blackburn or
> Ringwood.

The V/Line computer is only required for V/Line bookings. Countrylink and QR
bookings are done by fax ticketing and this would have been uneffected. As
for the office being unstaffed, did you use the up or down side? Usually
only the up side is staffed.

> There was another notice saying staff do not make change for the Metcard
> ticket machines.

No, we don't. We sell Metcards through the ticket window and give change
with a purchase. If we give out change, then we run out to quickly and can't
help anyone.

> What are the tasks of "on duty" staff at premium stations? Mitcham down
> platform is rarely, if ever, staffed.
> There are notices saying the booking office area is video monitored but
> there appears to be no way of communicating with any staff that might be
on
> duty.

Staff at premium (or any staffed station in Melbourne) have varied tasks.
Customer service, selling tickes, barrier presence, various paperwork,
Safeworking (some locations), control desk (some locations), fault
reporting.
I believe that Mitcham D/S has been closed, but staff are available on the
up side (it's just a short walk). In an emergency, the red button can be
used.

> My understanding of premium stations in Melbourne was that they were
> supposed to be "staffed" from first train to last seven days a week.

Yes, premium stations ARE staffed for every passenger train.

Sam