Re: Site of new steel mill

David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
xw0k6.41$2U6.1328@news0.optus.net.au">news:xw0k6.41$2U6.1328@news0.optus.net.au...
> Despite all the publicity about the proposed new steel mill in Newcastle,
> I haven't been able to find out the actual location. The NSW government is
> to provide $240 million in port and rail facilities.
>
> Also, does anybody know exactly what type of steel and what products
> Austeel is proposing to make?
>
> In somewhat related news, Graincorp is proposing to expand its operations
> at Newcastle.
>
> Cheers
> David

Probably because the location still hasn't been announced.  There are at least
2 spots in the running, at Tomago near the existing aluminium smelter (which
the government was going to build a rail line to for $20m) and up at Bayswater
near the power station.

Apparently the mill will produce slab and plate steels (I think, either way
it's similar to what comes out of Pt Kembla), all of which (for the next 15
years anyway) has been presold for export.

[OT] The next day, Macquarie Generation announced plans to build a gas fired
power station at Tomago as well.