Re: Site of new steel mill

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:35:57 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

>Despite all the publicity about the proposed new steel mill in Newcastle,
>I haven't been able to find out the actual location. The NSW government is
>to provide $240 million in port and rail facilities.
>
>Also, does anybody know exactly what type of steel and what products
>Austeel is proposing to make?
>
>In somewhat related news, Graincorp is proposing to expand its operations
>at Newcastle.
>
>Cheers
>David

There was an article about this on the ABC news last week.
Project is worth 2.4 B , but the spokesman for the consortium who are
pushing the project was evasive in the extreme about how its going to
be funded.
Also mentioned was that it will source its iron ore from the
Pilbara,but again no details about transport modes.

Also mentioned was the loss of the Lithgow Aluminium smelter to
Gladstone in Qld.

MD