Re: re why ......

Mark,

I don't think anyone disputes what you are saying as being true, but Greg was
not putting up valid arguments, he was just trolling for reactions.

He picked a topic that he knew would illicit a suitable response(after all I
would assume even you would probably get at least a little bit offended if
someone said all signal electricians were morons-which I am not).

Mark Bau wrote:

> I'm in the fortunate position to see this argument from both sides of the
> fence. I was a Driver/Engineer for 15 years, I now work for Union Pacific
> doing signal construction/maintainence.
>
> All jobs have some degree of responsibility. In my present job, if I wire a
> signal incorrectly you can get a green into an occupied track.

*Most Drivers can appreciate the job you do. In OZ , as anywhere in the world we
have to place a lot of trust in signals, especially when you are travelling at
high speed(little braking distances etc), one would hate to come around the
corner and find a train sitting there(ie: Hawkesbury  River - Cowan, and  please
don't give me a  fairytale about sand- that was for the benefit of our OZ
members(they'll know what I am talking about)).

> In my job I sit for more exams than I ever took as a Driver, I could face
> charges if I do my job incorrectly and I'm resposible for thousands of
> lives. If during my signal installation I hit a gas line with a backhoe I
> could ruin the day for a lot of people. After stepping back from the
> throttle I get amused when Drivers think they have the most important job in
> the world. To be sure driving trains is a very responsible job but so are
> many others on the railway. (and for that matter many jobs outside of the
> rail industry)
>
> Having run everything from a 6 car suburban train to a 15,000 ton coal train
> I'll go on the record in saying that I could teach anyone of average IQ to
> be a good driver in 6 months. We do it all the time in the U.S.

 *We don't dispute that anyone can learn to drive a train, but I do firmly
believe that if you are a moron as Greg stated you might be able to drive, but
not necessarily a GOOD driver.

> I doubt I'll know half of what I need to know as a signal maintainer in 5
> years!

*Do the people you have taught know everything in 6 months?, I would have my
doubts. As you would know, every train is different- so it is a constant
learning curve, and as a driver with 40years + service said "I will learn
something new every day, If I don't I'm dead")

> Most drivers have only one qualification and they are so very proud of it, I
> have more qualifications, does that give me a big ego? No, it allows me to
> see bigger pictures, that's all.

> Mark

Yes we are proud of it and as such when someone who comes on this group trolling
with a comment that it is a job any moron can do, you can expect a less than
cordial response.  And I don't think it is a case of big EGOs etc., I think it's
a case of being sick of trolls.

Regards

BEE EFF