Re: re why ......

in article 3a8e121f$0$25520$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au, Tezza at
tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au wrote on 2/16/01 10:54 PM:

> "Mark Bau" <markbau@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> B6B35D32.1607%markbau@earthlink.net">news:B6B35D32.1607%markbau@earthlink.net...
> | in article ufej6.270$8qy1.9175268@news.xtra.co.nz, Greg at
> good@heart.organ
> | wrote on 2/16/01 11:25 AM:
> |
> | > A labourer doesn't have to know shit, isn't
> exams
> the
> |
> | How wrong you are. Try digging a hole in the wrong place and hit a fiber
> | optic cable or gas main, or petroleum pipe or phone line.
>
> Then they'll call him a dickhead, his foreman or boss might get in a bit of
> minor shit, happens every day. He isn't responsible for thousands of lives.
> He doesn't have to sit constant exams. He doesn't face charges if he digs a
> hole the wrong way.

I'm in the fortunate position to see this argument from both sides of the
fence. I was a Driver/Engineer for 15 years, I now work for Union Pacific
doing signal construction/maintainence.

All jobs have some degree of responsibility. In my present job, if I wire a
signal incorrectly you can get a green into an occupied track.

In my job I sit for more exams than I ever took as a Driver, I could face
charges if I do my job incorrectly and I'm resposible for thousands of
lives. If during my signal installation I hit a gas line with a backhoe I
could ruin the day for a lot of people. After stepping back from the
throttle I get amused when Drivers think they have the most important job in
the world. To be sure driving trains is a very responsible job but so are
many others on the railway. (and for that matter many jobs outside of the
rail industry)

Having run everything from a 6 car suburban train to a 15,000 ton coal train
I'll go on the record in saying that I could teach anyone of average IQ to
be a good driver in 6 months. We do it all the time in the U.S. I doubt I'll
know half of what I need to know as a signal maintainer in 5 years!

Most drivers have only one qualification and they are so very proud of it, I
have more qualifications, does that give me a big ego? No, it allows me to
see bigger pictures, that's all.

Mark