Re: [Syd] Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?

in article 3a85d24d$0$16400$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au, Tezza at
tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au wrote on 2/10/01 4:43 PM:

> "Mark Bau"
> | Alex Pout
> | > <martin_o@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> 95q1j7$3mj$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:95q1j7$3mj$1@nnrp1.deja.com...

> | Its a hangover from when suburban trains had manually operated doors and
> | guards. (oops, sorry, I forgot archaic Sydney still has guards)
>
> No it's not.

Yes it is

> | In reality
> | there is no good reason to sound the whistle on a train equipped with
> power
> | doors prior to moving unless a worker is seen near the tracks.
>
> Apart from warning the morons that the train is about to move.
Warning who? If the doors are closed and people are clear of the train (a
normal requirement before one departs a station) who are you wanting to
warn? Who needs to be warned?

> | Trams usually don't make a sound when they move off and there are lots
> more
> | people/vehicles in close proximity to a tram compared to a train. Also
> | pilots (shunters) don't whistle prior to every move.
>
> They are supposed to though and will when the Driver thinks it is needed.
Living in Melbourne for 30 years and riding trams to school for 5 I assure
you that it is rare for a tram driver to sound the bell before moving.

> | Having worked on Australian and US railways I am a firm believer in bells,
> | they get your attention but are not intrusive like a whistle/horn is. True
> | they can't be heard at the back of a train but then neither can a suburban
> | whistle.
>
> I dispute that.

Dispute what? that I worked for both Victorian Railways and Denver & Rio
Grande Western (SP) and currently Union Pacific or that you can't hear a
spark whistle at the end of the train?

Please be a little more specific in your posts, it will make them easier to
answer