Re: [Syd] Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?

in article 3a8528bb$0$16410$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au, Alex Pout
at alpout@optusnet.com.au wrote on 2/10/01 4:27 AM:

> <martin_o@my-deja.com> wrote in message 95q1j7$3mj$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:95q1j7$3mj$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
>> Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?
>>
>> I live very close to a train station (Westmead), and I'm working
>> towards reducing the amount of noise that comes from stations. One of
>> the most annoying noises is the loud horn as the train is about to
>> leave. It seems to me there is no real need to do it. If it is
>> a 'signal' from the driver to the guard, surely another method could be
>> used?
>>
>> Is it a 'safety' procedure?
>> Is it an old habit that has remained because of inertia?
>>
>> Thanks for your Help!

Its a hangover from when suburban trains had manually operated doors and
guards. (oops, sorry, I forgot archaic Sydney still has guards) In reality
there is no good reason to sound the whistle on a train equipped with power
doors prior to moving unless a worker is seen near the tracks.
Trams usually don't make a sound when they move off and there are lots more
people/vehicles in close proximity to a tram compared to a train. Also
pilots (shunters) don't whistle prior to every move.

Having worked on Australian and US railways I am a firm believer in bells,
they get your attention but are not intrusive like a whistle/horn is. True
they can't be heard at the back of a train but then neither can a suburban
whistle.

Mark