Re: [Syd] Why do trains sound horn when leaving platform?

"Mark Bau"
| in article 3a85d24d$0$16400$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au, Tezza at
| > "Mark Bau"

| > | Its a hangover from when suburban trains had manually operated doors
and
| > | guards. (oops, sorry, I forgot archaic Sydney still has guards)
| >
| > No it's not.
|
| Yes it is

No, it's not. If if was, it would only apply to passenger trains, but as it
applies to ALL trains, you are wrong.

| > | In reality there is no good reason to sound the whistle on a train
equipped with
| > power doors prior to moving unless a worker is seen near the tracks.

| > Apart from warning the morons that the train is about to move.

| Warning who? If the doors are closed and people are clear of the train (a
| normal requirement before one departs a station) who are you wanting to
| warn? Who needs to be warned?

The morons who will still try to get on the train. The morons who are taking
shortcuts in front of the train, behind the train and between the cars.

| > | Trams usually don't make a sound when they move off and there are lots
| > more people/vehicles in close proximity to a tram compared to a train.
Also
| > | pilots (shunters) don't whistle prior to every move.

| > They are supposed to though and will when the Driver thinks it is
needed.

| > | Having worked on Australian and US railways I am a firm believer in
bells,
| > | they get your attention but are not intrusive like a whistle/horn is.
True
| > | they can't be heard at the back of a train but then neither can a
suburban
| > | whistle.

| > I dispute that.

| Dispute what? that I worked for both Victorian Railways and Denver & Rio
| Grande Western (SP) and currently Union Pacific or that you can't hear a
| spark whistle at the end of the train?

I dispute than a suburban train's horn can't be heard at the back of the
train.

| Please be a little more specific in your posts, it will make them easier
to answer

As I replied directly after that sentence, it was quite obvious what I was
referring to. Brush up on your comprehension and you won't have a problem
answering.