Re: Yarra Trams Article in Sunday Age

> As for your thinking you can travel without a valid ticket I think you
> should note the condtions for you to be able to do such a thing.

Yes, I know.

So its not automatically an offence to travel without a valid ticket.
We could argue for the next three weeks about what is "reasonable" - in
practice it depends what sort of mood the magistrate is in on that day.

> I suggest you check with Department of Infastructure if you have any
doubts
> ask for the Prosecutions Unit they should be able to advise you
> and answer any queries you have.

Yeah, Geraldine Sharman knows what she's on about. Shame the majority
of the RPO's/CSE's don't - and at least in Connex's case the people who
train them don't either (see post from Sam Eades about 6 months ago)

> Like I said if you wish to dipute any of this I suggest you contact
> your local member or do as I stated above.

Why would I contact my local member over a difference of legal opinion
between you and I?

> You may have seen the bruises but it doesn't mean you know the full
story,
> hearsay does not count.

Research the legal definition of hearsay.

Some of the injuries I have seen could only have been caused by force
disproportionate to the offence (and in my view the individual
concerned committed no offence at all). On the occasion I'm talking
about he sued and recieved a confidential settlement. Its not the only
time I've seen bruises because someone (for example) declined to give
the RPO a telephone number (Which they have no authority to ask for).

> Yes fares go up with the Consumer Price Index......but how much can be
> softened by how much fare evasion and vandalism occurs.

Nonsense. HOw is the CPI influenced by vandalism? Fares go up by the
CPI - no more and no less - regardless of how much vandalism there is.

> Yes some inappropiate TIN's get handed out, thats why we all have a
> thing called DISCRETION. Just because certain elements don't display
> it I think
> it's a little unfair to judge all by that act. But you are entitled
to your
> opinion of course and so be it.

Its not meant as a personal attack on you yourself. Its a
generalisation on what I've experienced RPO's/CSE's to be like (I've
also seen some who I couldn't fault, by the way...).

The discretion of the CSE on the ground is actually often used very
unfortunately. Its the inconsistency in who they target and who they
don't that makes me see red most of all.

> Vaughan don't take this personally but I know what I can and can't
> book people and for you to say below that the particualr offences are
not it is wrong.

Its not an offence to travel without a ticket, in and of itself.

ALso, though I may be wrong on this one, I didn't think you booked
anyone, just took details and made a report?

Anyway, aren't you one of these new Safety Officers? If so, and you are
booking people, then National Express has misrepresented your role to
the Director of PT's office. Perhaps you could email me privately
(ender at axs dot com dot au) and clarify this?

 If this was the case even more people out there have paid fines for
> nothing and the government would have one huge class action looming.

A lot of people do pay fines for nothing because they decide its not
worth fighting. Others do take it to court and some win. We get
hundreds of calls in our office about it and hear many distressing
stories.

Vaughan

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/